First Player Interview: Shane Simpson, RB, Towson/Virginia

Philadelphia sports fans love their athletes, especially when they are from in and around the Greater- Philadelphia Area. Shane Simpson grew up in Easton, PA, just about an hour from Philadelphia and a short drive from where the Philadelphia Eagles held training camp at Lehigh University in Bethlehem, PA. Simpson first burst onto the scene as an electric running back at Easton High School, earning himself not only an opportunity to participate in the illustrious Big 33 Classic, but a scholarship opportunity at the division 1 FCS powerhouse Towson of the CAA. Two first team all-American and three All- CAA seasons later, Simpson took a leap of faith and transferred to Virginia of the ACC, jumping from FCS D-1AA to one of the power five conferences of college football, a rare move in the transfer happy world of modern college football. Simpson finished off a productive career at Virginia, however an injury and the COVID-19 pandemic derailed Simpson`s NFL opportunities.

Shane Simpson is just one of many young athletes who professional football opportunities were taken from them as a result of the COVD-19 pandemic. The USFL provides those athletes, like Simpson the opportunity to continue their careers and as well as giving the Philadelphia sports fans great football to enjoy in the spring. 


What will you bring to the Philadelphia Stars if drafted or signed by the team?


I will bring versatility and leadership to the Philadelphia Stars if they were to sign me/draft me. I pride myself on my versatility and how I am viewed as a football player. I can do it all: run the ball, catch out the backfield, block, move out to the slot, and add value to you as a kick returner/punt returner. Leadership was voted captain. So, I will definitely lead by example and contribute anyway I can for the team. Also, me being from around Philly I know the fans are really passionate about their sports! So, bring excitement to the city and got to have that grit and mental toughness to block out any negative comments and just ball!


 Is there any current NFL player you’d compare yourself to?


Wouldn’t say I compare myself to but in today's game I would say Alvin Kamara or Christian McCaffery, Nyheim Hines, Austin Ekeler .Their versatility is what sets them apart being a running back, catching out the backfield, motioning to receiver and ability to return kicks/punts. Then, players like Lesean McCoy, LaDainian Tomlinson, Curtis Martin, and Tiki Barber. 


Some great players right there! The final question is, can you talk about the experience of transferring from FCS Towson to power five Virginia, and what made you want to take that chance on yourself? Most guys do the opposite, go from power five down.


Great question. I love Towson; it will always be near and dear to my heart. I knew I was always a power 5 guy. Just cards placed me at Towson first. Where I broke numerous records, accolades, left as all-time leader in all purpose and return yards. So, once COVID was a thing I was just coming off major knee surgery and wanted to play right away so I could let the teams know that I was back. So, I added up going into the portal and ending up having over 15+ Power 5 offers and dwindled it down to Texas and UVA. Ultimately picking UVA. No big difference at all because Towson is in the CAA conference which is the best in FCS. So, competition was hard every week and like you said power 5 guys would come into the conference each year and we would always play power 5 teams as well. Biggest difference you notice is OL/DL, the signal caller, and just more scholarships to give out. Also, I am a man of God and took that leap of faith up after major knee surgery and did what I had to do at Virginia. Did my thing there in a weird year with no off-season, rehabbed my knee by myself really with the help of my two trainers back home. I was 5 months out when Covid hit. ACL/MCL tough as hell to come back from in any year but that one was one of a kind and I can’t wait to get back playing football again.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Potential Head Coaches

USFL Partnering with broadcast giants to produce the league`s version of “Hard Knocks”

Part 2: WRs and TE